Skip to content


You can apply for a passport at the Embassy after prior appointment.

Your current passport will be cancelled when the new one is handed out at the Embassy. If you hold visas in the old passport make sure you check with the representative of the countries in question, if the visas remain valid. The processing time is app. 2-3 weeks.

What can be handled by the consulates from 1 January 2012?

After 1 January 2012 the honorary consulates can still extend the validity of passports and issue emergency passports.

A condition for extension of an expired passport is that it expired no longer than three months ago. A passport can only be extended once and for a maximum of 12 months. We recommend that you inquire whether the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognise extended passports. For instance it is not possible to travel without a visa to the USA on an extended passport.

An emergency passport is issued with validity limited to the period required for the duration of the journey and rules of the countries to be travelled through, and for a maximum of 12 months. An emergency passport must be rendered to the Police or to a Danish Mission abroad after use. Travelling with an emergency passport may cause problems with other countries’ border controls. Therefore we recommend that you inquire whether the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognize emergency passports.

Can I get a new passport during my holiday in Denmark?

Yes. Already today it is possible – and cheaper – to get a passport with a municipality (kommune) in Denmark. All Danish citizens can apply for a passport at the Civil Service Centre (Borgerservicecenter) in any municipality. It is not necessary for you to reside in or in other way be attached to the municipality. You can find addresses of Civil Service Centres at

You may wish to call beforehand for information on opening hours, booking of appointment etc. and inform them that you reside abroad. Processeing time for an ordinary passport is approximately 10-14 days. The Civil Service Centre can issue an express passport faster than 10-14 days and an extra fee will be charged.

We recommend that you apply for a passport during your stay in Denmark well a head of your departure, in order to receive the new passport before you leave Denmark. Another option would be to try and make an agreement with the Civil Service Centre so that they will send your new passport via courier service to your address abroad.

Must I present myself at the Danish Mission which issued my passport to have it handed over to me?

You may inquire at the Mission that issued your passport whether it is possible to have the passport sent to you, but you must be aware that the old passport must be handed in for cancellation, before the new passport can be delivered to you.

Must I bring photos for the passport?

No. With the new biometrics equipment the Mission takes photos for the passport. If you apply for an ordinary passport, you no longer need to bring photos after 1 January 2012. If you apply for an emergency passport, you must bring 2 photos.

Children: We recommend to bring a new photo of the child which meets the requirements for passport photos. That photo can then be scanned by the Mission if it is not possible for us to take a photo of the child that meets the requirements.

Can I apply for a biometric passport if my finger is injured?

That depends on the extent of the injury. According to the law, biometric data must always be contained in a biometric passport. This means that if for example your whole hand is covered by plaster or bandages, only an emergency passport can be issued to you. However, if only the index finger is injured a biometric passport can be issued. In that case fingerprint will be taken of an alternative finger.

Must children also give their fingerprints?

No. Fingerprints are not collected from children below 12 years of age, but they still have to appear in person in order to apply for a passport. From 1 January 2012 application for passports for children can only be handed in at the Missions that issue biometric passports.

Can my child be included in my passport?

No. Since 1 October 2004 children, also newborns and children without names, must have their own passport. A Mission may issue a temporary (emergency) passport if there is an urgent need of a passport. Se above on emergency passports.

Digital consent for a passport to your child

You can give digital consent for a passport to your child if you have a Danish CPR number and NEM-ID. Your child does not need to have a Danish CPR number.
Give digital consent here.
Once you have filled the consent form and signed with your NEM-ID, you can print a receipt. We will also send the receipt to your digital mailbox (e-box).
The consent is valid for 90 days.